Monday, May 18, 2015

Good Can Come from Bad?

I want you to know, my dearest brothers and sisters, that everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News (Phil. 1:12)

When things go wrong in your life, try to remember that often, in some way or another, it happens to all people. The important question is how you react to misfortune, disappointment, and frustration. You can become panic-stricken and complain, "This is it; I've had it!" You can wallow in self-pity and say, "Just look at what happened to me. Why?" Or you could say, "This is a bit of a problem; let me find a way to turn it into something I can use to my advantage, and to the glory of God."

Paul used his exceptional gifts and intelligence to advance the spread of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He traveled far and wide to preach and establish congregations. It was in fact while he was planning more journeys to spread the Good News that disaster struck. He was arrested and locked up. Did this mean it was the end of his mission? Not at all - he started working from prison. He used his time in jail to evangelize the guards and other prisoners and to write letters that help and guide us to this day. What some people saw as a disaster, Paul changed into an opportunity.

Do not allow misfortune to ruin you. Find a way to use it to your own advantage. Give it some serious thought and ask God in prayer what He is telling you through your misfortune. It isn't just a technique of looking for the silver lining to the dark cloud, but must be seen as something God wants you to grab hold of and use to His honor and glory.

Holy God, open my eyes to spot opportunities that You hide in my disappointment. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment