Friday, January 8, 2016

Freed from the Ropes of Death

 {Read Psalm 18:1-16}
 
The roped of death entangled me; floods of destruction swept over me ... But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from His sanctuary; my cry to Him reached His ears (Ps. 18:4, 6).
 
Many people have near-death experiences. Once they recover, they often forget how close they were to dying. People are attacked by thugs; others are involved in car accidents; sometimes health problems lead to emergency operations that bring patients close to death’s door. Even natural disasters can be life-threatening. There are people who manage to survive them time after time.
 
David, the writer of Psalm 18, knew what it meant to rub shoulders with death. But he was saved and gave God’s love all the credit for his survival. He is saying, “Human existence is an uncertain affair. I survived - but only just! Without God’s help I wouldn’t have stood a chance. He heard my desperate cry and responded.”
 
Of course we know about many who cried out to God for help in times of tragedy and distress, and died in spite of this. We don’t know why God hears the anguished cries of some and not of others. Cry out to Him in your anxiety, and plead with Him to help you. Follow the example of the disciples in the storm on the Sea of Galilee when they thought they were going to die. Then, if you make it and get through the ordeal alive, remember to give the honor and glory to God for His amazing grace.
 
Thank You, Father God, that You have often heard my anxious cries and saved me from death. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment