Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Broken Worlds

Scriptural Guide for this lesson is: Genesis 4:1- 5:32

After Adam sinned in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3), sin affected the life and death of every living creature. Sin and death reigned in every individual. Enoch, the one notable exception to the punishment of death, "walked with God." Cain, like Adam and Eve, wanted to keep his distance from God. Rather can confess his sin, Cain tried to hide it to keep it from God. Here is a good rule of thumb: Those who keep secrets from God keep their distance from God. Those who are honest with God draw near to God. This is nothing new. It happens between people. If you loan me your car and I wreck it, will I look forward to seeing you again? No. It is no coincidence that the result of the very first sin was to duck into the bushes. Adam and Eve ate the fruit, heard God in the garden, and crept between the leaves. "Where are you?" God asked, not for his benefit. He knew exactly where they were. The question was a spiritual one, not a geographical one. "Examine where you are, children. You aren't where you were. You were at my side; now you have hidden from me." Secrets erect a fence while confession builds a bridge. Once there were a couple of farmers who couldn't get along with each other. A wide ravine separated their two farms, but as a sign of their mutual distaste for each other, each constructed a fence on his side to keep the other out. In time however, the daughter of one met the son of the other, and the couple fell in love. Determined not to be kept apart by the folly of their fathers, they tore down the fence and used the wood to build a bridge across the ravine. Confess does that. Confessed sin becomes the bridge over which we can walk back into the presence of God. Ask yourself: What am I trying to hide from God? Confess your sins and your desire to live your your life independent of God. He wants us to live in full fellowship and communion with him.


Exploration: (Exodus 2-3); ( Samuel 11-12); (Jonah 1-4); (Matthew 26:69-75)


A Prayer for Forgiveness
(Psalm 51)

God, be merciful to me because you are loving. Because you are always ready to be merciful, wipe out all my wrongs. Wash away all my guilt and make me clean again. I know about my wrongs, and I can't forget my sin. You are the one I have sinned against; I have done what you say is wrong. You are right when you speak and fair when you judge. I was brought into this world in sin. In sin my mother gave birth to me. You want me to be completely truthful, so teach me wisdom. Take away my sin, and I will be clean. Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Make me hear sounds of joy and gladness; let the bones you crushed be happy again. Turn your face from my sins and wipe out all my guilt. Create in me a pure heart, God, and make my spirit right again. Do not send me away from you or take your Holy Spirit away from me. Give me back the joy of your salvation. Keep me strong by giving me a willing spirit . Then I will teach your ways to those who do wrong, and sinners will turn back to you. God's save me from the guilt of murder, God of my salvation, and I will sing about your goodness. Lord, let me speak so I may praise you. You are not pleased by sacrifices, or I would give them. You don't want burnt offerings. The sacrifice God wants is a broken spirit. God, you will not reject a heart that is broken and sorry for sin.  Do whatever good you wish for Jerusalem. Rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. Then you will be pleased with right sacrifices and whole burnt offerings, and bulls will be offered on your altar.

No comments:

Post a Comment