Tuesday, November 18, 2014

THE SECURITY OF SALVATION (PT. 2)


We Have Become God's Children:

     When we were saved, we not only received something; we also became something. We became children of God, born of His eternal life (John 1:12-13). A human father may be able to take back a gift he has given to his child, but he can never take back the human life which he has imparted. Although the child may misbehave, the child is still the father's. In the same way, we are God's children. Although we may have many weaknesses and may require His discipline, our sins and weaknesses cannot change the fact that we are His children. The life we received by our second birth is the eternal life, the indestructible life, the life of God, the life that can never die. Once we are born again, we can never be "un-born."

God Is Strong:

     Another reason for the security of our salvation is God's strength. God is unwilling to allow anything or anyone to snatch us from Him. Jesus said, "I give them eternal life, and they will never die, and no one can steal them out of my hand. My Father gave my sheep to me. He is greater than all, and no person can steal my sheep out of my Father's hand" (John 10:28-29). The hand of the Father and the hand of the Lord Jesus are two strong hands holding us fast. Even if we try to run away from our Father, it would be impossible. Not only is God stronger than Satan, He is also stronger than we are.

God Never Changes:

     If it were possible to lose our salvation, many of us would have lost it long ago. As human beings, we go through many changes. One day we are hot; the next, cold. But our salvation is not based upon our erratic feelings. It is rooted and grounded in a God who is unchanging in His love and faithfulness toward us (Mal. 3:6). James 1:17 says, "Every good action and every perfect gift is from God. These good gifts come down from the Creator of the sun, moon, and stars, who does not change like their shifting shadows." Lamentations 3:22-23 says, "The LORD's love never ends; his mercies never stop. They are new every morning; LORD your loyalty is great." If He loved us enough to save us, He surely loves us enough to keep us in that same salvation. Great is His faithfulness!

Christ Has Promised:

     Finally, Christ himself has promised to keep us, uphold us, and never leave us. Although men often are unrighteous in keeping their promises, Christ will never fail to accomplish what he pledges. Listen to his promise: "The Father gives me my people. Every one of them will come to me, and I will always accept them" (John 6:37); "Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be satisfied with what you have. God has said, "I will never leave you; I will never forget you" (Heb. 13:5). The Lord's promises here are unconditional. By no means and under no circumstances whatever, will he ever cast us out or cease to uphold us. This is faithful promise.
     What powerful security our salvation has! We have God's selection, God's predestination, His calling, His love, His grace, His righteousness, His life, His strength, His unchanging faithfulness, and His promises as the foundation, guaranty, and security for our salvation. We can all declare with Paul, "I am suffering now because I tell the Good News, but I am not ashamed, because I know Jesus, the One in whom I have believed. And I am sure he is able to protect what he has trusted me with until that day" (2 Tim. 1:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment