Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Life Lessons: Relying on God Genesis 38:1-30



Life Lessons: Relying on God
Genesis 38:1-30

SITUATION: Onan and Judah shirked their moral responsibilities to produce a child by Tamar and preserve her husband’s line.

OBSERVATION: Trusting God is critical—especially when it is difficult to do so. Sometimes trusting in God’s help and timing seems to fight against our own interests and aspirations. Still, obeying and trusting God yields his blessing.

INSPIRATION: All my life, I just wanted to be a mother. Every year I received only one Christmas gift that truly counted: a doll. Not a Barbie doll or a fashion doll, but a baby doll. . . .
     At thirty-five I married. I had waited, determined not to make a mistake, and though I had dated some very sharp, attractive men, it was only when Will Anderson appeared that I knew the right man had come. . . . Will and I decided we wanted to try for a baby right away. . . . Now we shared a common dream. . . .
     Somehow, though, I thought the dream of having a baby would be easier to attain [than running a marathon]. That the hardest part had been waiting so many years for the right man to be my husband. But I quickly learned the word “infertility.” Strictly speaking, of course, I was not infertile. I could become pregnant all right, but each time I would miscarry during the first few weeks. During one year I was hospitalized eight times with pregnancy-related problems. . . .
     In this situation, no matter what medication, what shots, what torment I subjected my body to through surgeries and other procedures, I could not make a baby. I was completely stripped and broken. And I was suddenly empty enough of myself to see God in a way I had never seen Him before. (From Open Adoption by Ann Kiemel Anderson)

APPLICATION: Are you waiting patiently for God to work out his loving plan? Instead of trying to “make things happen,” trust God’s timing and submit your dreams to him.

EXPLORATION:  Relying on God – Psalm 32:10; 37:3;  Proverbs 3:5;  John 14:1;  Romans 9:33

No comments:

Post a Comment