Sunday, April 15, 2018

Beautiful Layers

     The art of a painting lies not in what you see, but in the process that has gone into making it what it has become. Usually a painting begins with inspiration: an idea that wants to be expressed. It proceeds with sketching, color, texture, and variations in between. A painter rarely produces exactly what they originally pictured.
     Our life with God can be like a painting. It begins with our faith. Our belief in Jesus sets up our canvas, but the Scriptures call us to add to the depth of our faith by applying colors of goodness, knowledge, and self-control. The beauty emerges as we add perseverance, godliness, affection, and love. These things take time to develop in us. They can involve mistakes, and they can make us look very different. Do you need to add anything to your faith today?

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love (2 Peter 1:5-6, NIV).

     Thank you, Jesus, that you have begun a good work in me. Today, Lord, I need to add some spiritual discipline to my faith. Help me to know you more, help me to control my emotions, help me to persevere, and help me to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment